Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Enjoying Fishing experience at the Qian Hu Fish Farm

We had a fantastic time at the Qian Hu Fish Farm last weekend, 4-JAN. I did have some initial challenges finding the place - 71, Jalan Lekar, near Choa Chu Kang Road. But no worries, after consulting my Nokia Maps in my Nokia E71 ... or simply go to maps.ovi.com and do a search for Jalan Lekar. From Ang Mo Kio, via Lentor Ave, the SLE ->BKE->KJE (exit Sungei Tengah) route worked for me.



Built over 4.2 hectares of land in 1995, there are a wide variety of activities for the family there - lokang fishing, feeding the ever-hungry Koi fish, leg spa fish (if you like to pay to offer your dead skin to the small fish), or simply marvelling at the large number of species of ornamental fish (and gaping at the prices as well, e.g. S$6,888 for an Arawana!).



Reminisces of my younger days as a kid where I ventured out to the drains near my home to fish, especially after it rained, came to my mind ... and heck, now I was paying $5 per pax for 30 mins to do the same! It was all good fun though. I roll up my sleeves, took my little fish net, carefully dipped my hand into the pools of water and went about netting my catch (caught about 8 fish in 20 mins)! My son, Elijah, patience not being one of his virtues, went from pool to pool, swishing his net here and there but alas had no luck.

We spent around 2 hours in the air-con fish galleries, and under the sun feeding koi and catching lokang fish. Good fun! There are other vegetable and farms around this area ... probable destinations for upcoming weekends.


Nelson
for more info on Qian Hu Fish Farm, click on the following links.
1. Qian Hu Fish Farm corporate site
2.Uniquely Singapore, Qian Hu Fish Farm